How do I know if I have a mouldy home?
Mould is always about moisture. Much of the moisture we see in our homes is due to local climate (it’s humid), geology (sandstone holds moisture), geography (sloping blocks means lots of subterranean water flow) and topography (tree cover means absence of drying sun). Or, in some cases, the home’s design does not allow for sufficient natural cross flow ventilation.
It’s important to remember that the principal sources of dampness in any home are the washing, breathing, sweating, cooking and cleaning human occupants.
There are many mould species and some can be toxic. There is no simple way to determine whether the mould you see/smell is toxic or benign. However, the treatment/elimination process is the same, irrespective of mould species.
Here are the typical symptoms of a mouldy home:
- Visible mould to ceilings/walls.
- Musty odour
- Mould on shoes/clothes in wardrobes
- Mould on leather goods and other porous surfaces.
- Window condensation
- Allergic or other adverse health reactions (unexplained sinus or headaches?) from occupants (or visitors)
- Unusually cold home.